Poisoned Dogs And Cats: How To Give Them First Aid

Poisoned Dogs And Cats: How To Give Them First Aid

Poisoning dogs and cats caused by poisons of anticoagulant rodenticides used to kill rodents is one of the most common poisons at all, and there are also very frequent reasons for visiting a veterinarian. Do you know how poisoning is manifesting and how do you give your pet first aid?

What are anticoagulant rodenticides?

Rat PoisonIt is a group of substances designed to kill rodents. It is used to dispose of overpopulated rodents in enclosed areas, in agricultural or warehouse buildings, in households, but also in the area of ​​rodent disposal of rodents. Cases of poisoning by anticoagulant rodenticides in dogs and cats are relatively common because getting close to these substances is not a problem for animals. Poisoning is caused by negligence, but it is not even poisonous.

Registered preparations containing anticoagulant rodenticides are: Kumatox, Norat, Broditox, Tarin, Lanirat, Ratimor, Hubex, Ratox, Baraki, Talon.

Most of these are in the form of granules, powders, rollers or wax blocks and are provided with a warning color.

How do they kill rodents?

There are several classes of anticoagulant rodenticides: first and second generation, and indandione derivatives.

The first generation works on the principle of dose accumulation, the other two types of anticoagulant rodenticides are more effective, and poisoning can occur even after one-off intake.

Poisons interfere with blood clotting. Rodenticides compete in a body poisoned with vitamin K, which is involved in blood clotting. Because of this, vitamin K cannot activate and function as it should. The result is poor or slow blood clotting.

How does poisoned animal look?

How does poisoned animal lookRodent poison will not occur immediately after drinking, but usually within a few days.

In the first phase of the disorder, bleeding from the nose, the mouth, anorexia, the patient is weak, sleepy, dyspnoea, blood in the dung can appear to bloody diarrhea, the urine is red.

In the second phase there is already bleeding into the subcutaneous tissue, the muscles. Even a smaller stroke can cause bleeding. The mucous membranes are pale, and bleeding is particularly noticeable in the area of ​​the unpigmented parts.

Finally, there is bleeding into the internal organs, chest and abdominal cavity, and the animal dies due to high blood loss.

How to give first aid to an animal after poisoning?

First aid in cases of early detection of poisoning, which is counted within 4 hours after poisoning, is to induce vomiting. In domestic conditions, 3% hydrogen peroxide (intended for the treatment of wounds, not technical!) Can be used, 1 milliliter per 2 kilograms of animal weight. Peroxide is applied directly into the mouth so that the animal swallows it. If vomiting does not appear within half an hour, peroxide application may be repeated. If even afterwards the animal does not return, contact a veterinarian. After first aid, consult a veterinarian where the doctor decides on the dose and the antidote.

If the animal has already consumed the poison for a longer period of time or if you suspect it is necessary to contact the veterinary workplace. If you know the name of the product, you have the packaging or you know the name of the active substance, tell it immediately upon arrival, it is very valuable information to decide on the next procedure.

How does poisoned animal heal?

Sick dogThe specific treatment is vitamin K1 for as long as anticoagulant rodenticides are present in the body at toxic concentrations.

First-generation rodenticides poisoning is one to two weeks, with the second generation of rodenticide poisoning being four weeks. Medicines are in the form of drops and it is good to feed them with food because vitamin K binds in fat so it is better used.

In severe poisoning, the treatment is supplemented by a full blood transfusion. The effectiveness of the treatment is monitored continuously by the vet by examining blood clotting.

How to prevent poisoning?

The greatest risk of poisoning lies in the fact that lures based on cereals or grains are appetizing, so dogs and cats are very happy to consume. Just like people, when we see something looking good (for example, games here), we don’t think about negative effects (like addiction to the games or loss of money). Therefore, if you have at home a so-called doggie or puppy who likes outdoors whereco tastes, keep his shopping cart in the walks. If household poisons are used, make sure that the traps are not accessible to your pet.

Comments are closed.